[FutureSOCProjects] - Tiezones / Geo-Locations

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Wed Aug 20 16:07:53 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-20 at 19:55 +0200, Marcus Lundblad wrote:
> And XMPP has the concept of "geo locations".

I'd really rather support the latest Entity Time spec:
http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0202.html

I'd be a lot less concerned about sharing my timezone than my exact GPS
coordinates. Also, from an implementation standpoint, everyone has a
timezone and getting it is easy. Not everyone has a GPS device and
getting that would take more code. Plus, you'd then need a database to
convert coordinates into timezones. (On that note, I might need that
anyway for another project. If someone knows of one that is free and
ideally Free, please let me know.)

Richard