Pidgin usability look on the web

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Thu Aug 21 12:58:20 EDT 2008

Casey Harkins spake unto us the following wisdom:
> On Thu, 2008-08-21 at 11:51 +0300, Timo Jyrinki wrote:
> > Just noticed this usability check from Ubuntu's devel list:
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EmpathyVsPidginUsability
>
> The author also notes:
>
> "I look forward to working with the Empathy and Pidgin developers, if
> invited, to design solutions to their usability problems."
>
> Maybe we should touch base with him and let him know we'd welcome his
> input and suggested solutions to some of the issues he identified.

In fact, he contacted us when he first started that page, and we (I)
told him we would welcome bug reports for usability problems.  He has
since filed several:

http://developer.pidgin.im/query?status=new&status=pending&reporter=~mpt

He has also been in discussions in #pidgin on several occasions,
although I did not follow any but the first.

In short, he's gone above and beyond in providing us with useful
feedback.  As I mentioned in the first go-round, we will not
necessarily adopt every suggestion, but we certainly will give them a
fair shake.  Several hilight issues we have discussed before and know
to be problems (but third-party input with thoughtful comments is
always helpful in such situations), several are new concerns to us,
and a couple are things we have in the past been reluctant to change.

Whether or not Ubuntu decides to go with Empathy instead (as I stated
when this first came up, we are *not* interested in fighting that
fight -- it inevitably leads to mud-slinging and hard feelings), good
feedback on usability concerns will make Pidgin better.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.