SSL Certificate

John Bailey rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org
Thu Dec 4 17:37:04 EST 2008

(``-_-´´) -- Fernando wrote:
> Olá Mark e a todos.
>
> On Wednesday 03 December 2008 22:49:31 Mark Doliner wrote:
>> How do people feel about actually buying a certificate?  Is it worth
>> it?  If we get a certificate for only developer.pidgin.im it's about
>> $27 a year.
>
> Nobody here likes cacert [1] ?
> Debian/Ubuntu and Firefox, to state a few, already bring the root key. IE/Windows humm you know the drill: pay up.
>
> [1]http://www.cacert.org/

A CA whose root certificate is not trusted in the vast majority of browsers
(face it, we have IE to worry about since we have Windows users) is pretty much
completely out of the question.  We need a cert that verifies automatically in
as many browsers as possible to reduce complaints about "Your cert isn't
verifiable!" or "Your cert needs to be signed by a more recognized CA!"

John