New homepage under testing

Phil Hannent phil at hannent.co.uk
Fri Dec 12 07:21:59 EST 2008

Casey Ho wrote:
> Just a heads up for everyone- I just pushed a new version of the
> homepage to www.pidgin.im.
>
> It's currently being displayed as part of a Google Website Optimizer
> test, so you may OR may not see this page.  More importantly, please
> refrain from making any edits to index.php or home.php for the next
> several days (in order to keep the test data accurate).  Of course,
> comments/suggestions are welcome.
>
> I'd also like to thank Julian Harris, who designed the new layout on
> behalf of the Google Website Optimizer team.  He'll be helping by
> making improvements and also configuring the tests to see what works
> and what doesn't.
Very clever in showing the facebook logo in the screenshot.  Brand
association for the win.

;-)

FYI: YSlow reports to me that:
1, the page took 4.879s to load (first time) then 2.238s, then 4.033s,
2, that it has no Expires header on the css, js and image files
(probably a server setting),
3, that gzip compression is not turned on for css and js files (again a
server setting),
4, Page download size is: empty cache size is 127.2K verses 104.7K with
a primed cache,

Regards
Phil Hannent