New homepage under testing

Sadrul Habib Chowdhury imadil at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 22:21:37 EST 2008

* Casey Ho had this to say on [12 Dec 2008, 12:19:16 -0800]:
[snip]
> As for problems with the number of users, that's why I wanted to
> become a developer- to put things in place to help deal with a large
> influx of users, including those that are annoying.  Frankly, I think
> this is a case of the cat being out of the bag because Pidgin already
> has already crossed the threshold of having a ludicrous amount of
> users to support. A 5% increase isn't going to hurt.

Assuming the proposed changes cause a 5% increase in the number of
users, do we know what the increase rate is now (ie. without the changes
intended to help deal with a large influx of users)? If the increase
rate is similar (I somehow suspect it is, for no particular reason at
all), perhaps we can stick to the current design?

As for a section for screenshots (I think every website for a GUI app
must have one, and I believe most do), I really hoped it would be a
link at the bar at the very top, along with 'Download', 'News', 'About'
etc, like in [1] and [2] so a user won't need to jump back to the front
page to look at the screenshots, and the link would take to a page with
thumbnailed screenshots, like in [3] and [4].

Also, I think there needs to be more screenshots with default
settings/plugins than with non-default ones (currently the ratio is 1:4)

[1] http://adiumx.com/
[2] http://deluge-torrent.org/
[3] http://adiumx.com/screenshots/
[4] http://deluge-torrent.org/screenshots.php