www: b1cadda2: removing unvisited blog page in news sec...

Kevin Stange kevin at simguy.net
Sat Dec 27 01:40:06 EST 2008

caseyho at pidgin.im wrote:
> Revision: b1cadda28ca638799ff58603b9783ab1a17f2827
> Ancestor: 6d5133b6a4bbe217eec8185fad91089e331b8487
> Author: caseyho at pidgin.im
> Date: 2008-12-27T00:37:52
> Branch: im.pidgin.www
>
> Deleted entries:
>         htdocs/news/blogs htdocs/news/blogs/index.php
> Modified files:
>         inc/section.inc inc/section.news.inc
>
> ChangeLog:
>
> removing unvisited blog page in news section

I am disapproving this revision for three reasons.

1) The pages linked to are the blogs of developers, which, while
aggregated on planet.pidgin.im are not always visible but may still be
of interest to visitors.  I don't care if no one links to the page
directly or rarely visits it.

2) The planet-im.com blog is almost entirely irrelevant to Pidgin users,
with the sole exception of blog posts being posted by people whose blogs
are already aggregated into our own planet installation.

3) The change to section.inc was silly code and I don't see any reason
to explicitly tell search engines not to follow off-site links.  Unless
we want to keep those we feel compelled to link to from benefits of a
better PageRank, it seems pointless.

The generated HTML is also invalid because the attribute value is
unquoted, but that could be easily fixed if there were otherwise
justification.

Kevin