www: b1cadda2: removing unvisited blog page in news sec...

Kevin Stange kevin at simguy.net
Sat Dec 27 02:28:57 EST 2008

Casey Ho wrote:
> 2008/12/26 Kevin Stange <kevin at simguy.net>:
>> caseyho at pidgin.im wrote:
>>> Revision: b1cadda28ca638799ff58603b9783ab1a17f2827
>>> Ancestor: 6d5133b6a4bbe217eec8185fad91089e331b8487
>>> Author: caseyho at pidgin.im
>>> Date: 2008-12-27T00:37:52
>>> Branch: im.pidgin.www
>>>
>>> Deleted entries:
>>>         htdocs/news/blogs htdocs/news/blogs/index.php
>>> Modified files:
>>>         inc/section.inc inc/section.news.inc
>>>
>>> ChangeLog:
>>>
>>> removing unvisited blog page in news section
>>>
>> I am disapproving this revision for three reasons.
>>
>> 1) The pages linked to are the blogs of developers, which, while
>> aggregated on planet.pidgin.im are not always visible but may still be
>> of interest to visitors.  I don't care if no one links to the page
>> directly or rarely visits it.
>>
>> 2) The planet-im.com blog is almost entirely irrelevant to Pidgin users,
>> with the sole exception of blog posts being posted by people whose blogs
>> are already aggregated into our own planet installation.
>>
>> 3) The change to section.inc was silly code and I don't see any reason
>> to explicitly tell search engines not to follow off-site links.  Unless
>> we want to keep those we feel compelled to link to from benefits of a
>> better PageRank, it seems pointless.
>>
>> The generated HTML is also invalid because the attribute value is
>> unquoted, but that could be easily fixed if there were otherwise
>> justification.
>>
>> Kevin
>
> I'm good with the revert- the updates you made afterwards improved the
> quality of the page.  I wasn't quite sure what to do myself and just
> followed the lead of other sites like Planet GNOME- but in hindsight,
> their site wasn't a good role model for relevancy.
>
> I'm no longer near my computer- could you do one more thing and filter
> the blogs listed on the page?  For example, Luke's entire blog is
> listed and has some irrelevant stuff.  It seems like only posts with
> the tag "pidgin" should be present.

I tweaked the page to include better links.  I made some edits to the
about page to add text I thought was justified though make adjustments
if you disagree strongly and I'll be fine.  I think some of the
additional text involving the translation area in particular might get
the attention of some potential translators.

I'm thinking that we might make about *Pidgin* a primary page in that
section, and add sub-sections for screenshots (part of the original
vision, I believe), Finch, and libpurple.

Kevin