Revenue generating features in Pidgin

Matthew Wardrop mister.wardrop at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 05:25:23 EST 2008

There is merit in what Phil has to say, and his ideas were not entirely
unconsidered by myself before I sent in my email.

The lure, if I may call it so, of extra money is always enticing... but,
I suppose I have become very used to the absence of these money-making
drives in my open source environments.

It is my personal preference (which I know is as light as a feather)
that such things are not implemented. Pidgin is beautifully simple, and
I would feel (almost) violated if I had to have advertisements or search
bars in and about my conversation. I would not mind if it were done as a
plugin, which I would be able to disable, but would that be enough for
About.com?

I do not know if my views represent that of a broader sweep of the user
base, but here is me hoping.

Regardless of your decision, I think you have done a wonderful job with
pidgin. But even so, I am not sure I would be so keen on it thereafter.

Kind Regards,
Matthew