Pdigin seems to permanently reopen some files

Zdenek Kabelac zdenek.kabelac at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 12:27:52 EST 2008

2008/2/22, Daniel Atallah <daniel.atallah at gmail.com>:

> On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 10:55 AM, Zdenek Kabelac <zdenek.kabelac at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I'm running fedora rawhide's Pidgin build 2.3.1-3.fc9.
> > Why the pingin opens same files all over again ?
>
> <snip/>
>
> > 16:24:58.725507
> >
> open("/usr/share/pixmaps/pidgin/emblems/16/blocked.png",
> O_RDONLY) =
> > 21
> > 16:24:58.727355
> open("/usr/share/pixmaps/pidgin/protocols/16/icq.png",
> > O_RDONLY) = 21
> >

> > This is just a short sample.
> >
> > There are far more things which are actually very strange.
> > (i.e. why the slow disk access locks pidgin so it's not refreshing window)
>
> This has been improved for the next release.

Is it already commited - so I could check it myself ?

Also would it be possible to leave saving history files and other
things to a separate thread - so I would not see upto 5 sec delays
during typing and seeing the actual text when the hard drive is
stressed ?

Partially it is a problem of Linux kernel - but Pidgin could avoid
temporal freezes by deferring read/writes whenever it is possible.

Thanks

Zdenek