Proposals for 3.0.0 API changes

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Wed Jan 2 15:27:16 EST 2008

On Sun, 2007-12-30 at 22:02 -0500, John Bailey wrote:
>   * We have some deprecated functions in libpurple, mainly some logging stuff
> and the stuff deprecated by Will's disconnect reason stuff.  Kill all deprecated
> API.

We have the new logging API that I really need to review. I've been
seriously meaning to do this, but the holidays have slowed me down. I
was just telling my girlfriend the other day that I need to get back
into development or officially go on hiatus. As I don't like the second
option, that means getting back to work on things. ;)

I have no problem merging that for 3.0.0, which would probably simplify
things. I wouldn't need to support both blocking and non-blocking APIs
on both sides (loggers and UIs). I think I'll just plan to do that.

To Hajo Nils Krabbenhöft: I haven't forgotten about you or your changes.
If you don't hear from me again by say, the 14th, you should harass me
about this. ;)

> These next two are far less important and could be overlooked if desired:
>
>   * The plugin prefs API and the request fields API overlap.  Merge them into a
> simpler, more coherent API.

I agree this is a secondary goal. I further agree that it needs to be
done in a way which would address Will's concerns with telepathy haze.

> Ideally, I'd also like to get some of the theme and pixmaps stuff I proposed[1]
> earlier in for 3.0.0 too, even if it's in a different form than I originally
> proposed.

I see the XML format for smiley themes is mentioned in that e-mail....

I work best with someone else pushing me on, so if you (or someone) were
going to work on this, that'd be a good push for me to do the XML
format. I'm thinking we'll just resurrect the XEP, make a few changes,
implement it and then we'll see if anyone wants to pick it up for
interoperability.

Richard