msn-pecan now has direct connection support (fast file transfers)

Ankit Singla anksingla at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 20:46:23 EST 2008

Daniel Atallah wrote:
> On Jan 3, 2008 6:34 PM, Jorge Villaseñor <salinasv at gmail.com
> <mailto:salinasv at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Jan 3, 2008 4:59 PM, Richard Laager <rlaager at wiktel.com
>     <mailto:rlaager at wiktel.com>> wrote:
>     > On Thu, 2008-01-03 at 16:48 -0600, Gary Kramlich wrote:
>     > > PSM: "Happy Birthday to me!"
>     > >
>     > > Is that a good enough example?
>     >
>     > No. As I said in another message on this thread, you can't set
>     those at
>     > the same time, as MSN allows only one message.
>     >
>     > I'm looking for an example along the lines of what I provided... a
>     > series of statuses & messages and the transitions between them.
>     >
>     > Richard
>
>     As Felipe said. The change on the status doesn't matter when we
>     have a
>     PSM. People in MSN (wich is my primary prpl wit more than 250
>     contacts) doesn't use it (at least in my buddy list) like a status
>     message. It's is a extended nickname. I don't know if it's correct or
>     they are abusing but it's true.
>
>     Examples: Here are some examples from my buddy list that show that the
>     status doesn't matter.
>     Busy: /Dominant Primordial Beast
>     Available: Hello Madrid.
>     Away: So if we have a chance, would you let me know?
>     Available: St Louis ahead
>     Available: Festivus
>     Available: Happy new year.
>     Busy: Laaaambert.
>
>     Well this are only some of the PSM I have in my buddy list. Is obvious
>      that none of them show anything related to "status"
>

>     I agree with Felipe that PSM and status message are different. I
>     don't
>     know if it bothers me to have attached to the status message on other
>     protocols because I don't use really hard other protocols.
>
>     Maybe we should look at the official client and how it define the PSM.
>     If people are abusing but it's really a STATUS stuff I don't care to
>     have it like status, but if the official client define it like
>     "extended nickname you can write here everything you want" I guess we
>     need to detach it from the status.
>

>     Hope this will help to clarify the difference.
>

> I guess it really doesn't matter what people want to put in the status
> message field; I still don't see any difference between this "PSM" (of
> which the SM is "Status Message", right? :P) and what we're calling a
> "Status Message".  Perhaps it is that the name of the status message
> field is confusing (although I don't know why that would be the case
> as the PSM is named almost identically) - it really is just a freeform
> field that you can put whatever you want in it.  There are a number of
> people on my buddy list who put all sorts of random things in their
> xmpp and AIM status messages in Pidgin, exactly like the behavior
> you're describing with the MSN field, so I really don't see why it
> [...]
 From what I've read in this thread, I think there's a misunderstanding
as to what nicknames and status messages and statuses are. Daniel has it
right. The status message that pidgin has is what PSM (I guess what MSN
is only now introducing are) since there is no separate field for this.
As it is, you can set a "status message" for any "status", and this
/status message/ may stay the same when you change /statuses/, which is
the same behavior described of PSMs. Nicknames on the other hand have
been abused in MSN and have been used as a replacement for status
messages historically. If everything stays the same, but the custom
status message ability that already exists in other protocols in pidgin
is ported to MSN, then MSN will have two custom fields and a non-custom
field: Nickname, Status message, Status. The status message /is/
independent of the status and the nickname is independent of both the
status message and the status. The status message is that thing that you
can type into at the bottom of the buddy list window when you change
statuses to an unsaved status that currently has no bearing in the MSN
protocol.

Ankit