Use of smileys according to GPL

Seph M. Soliman seph.soliman at coniuro.dk
Sun Jan 6 03:07:29 EST 2008

Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
> On Jan 4, 2008 12:54 PM, Mark Doliner <mark at kingant.net> wrote:
>
>>> So my question is: Are we allowed to use the smiley icons for the
>>> website without open-sourcing the entire project?
>>>
>> Yes, I believe that is fine.  If you were to "link" something with the images
>> and release them then you would be obliged to release the "source" for the
>> stuff that you linked to the images.  But since these are images we're talking
>> about that doesn't really make any sense.
>>

> Don't know if this is uncalled for, but just to clarify, "link" does
> not mean hyperlink, but means "linking" in a programming sense
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linker)
> Hyperlinking with the images is perfectly fine and doesn't mean you
> have to release the source of the target (impossible in most cases
> anyway).

Completely understood. I appreciate the clarification even though I knew :-)

I researched some more and as long as I supply the license and possibly
a link everything should be ok. The images would be PNGs and are already
rasterized, so getting the "source" is no more difficult than
right-clicking and choosing "Save image".

Regards,
Seph