question concerning Hiptop icon for Adium

fwoomp fwoomp fwoomp at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 21:35:12 EST 2008

Hello,

This is a question that I have brought up with the Adium developers
but they have said to talk to the libpurple developers, so here goes.

For something like a year now, Adium has not shown a Hiptop icon for
Hiptop/Sidekick devices.  Is there any way at all that this
functionality will ever return?  I implore you to reconsider bringing
the Hiptop icon back to Adium for the following reasons:

   * I have MANY contacts who switch back and forth between their
   Sidekicks and computers, and the experience is not at all the
   same between the two.

   * If cell phone users, being mobile, get to have a wireless icon,
   then Sidekick/Hiptop users logically should also get this status.

   * Whenever I am talking to someone via IM, it helps to know if
   they are not at their computers, but rather somewhere out
   driving or shopping, whatever.

   * The connectivity is not always good.  It can go in and out.
   Communication can be a lot slower.  They may be distracted by
   other things that are going on around them.

   * I like knowing when they are on a computer instead of a
   Sidekick, so that I can grab that opportunity to have a more
   substantial conversation about something.

   * Pidgin on the Windows platform still shows a Hiptop icon for
   these Hiptop/Sidekick users.  Why not Adium as well?

For a bit of backstory, please see the discussion that occurred in May of 2007:

   http://forums.cocoaforge.com/viewtopic.php?p=92539&sid=17fab69ac3a2f0e5d441be34f06db6f6

I am acting upon this comment from evands:

   "Maybe you could email devel at pidgin.im with a question about it and
your argument as to why it's a mobile device?"

Again, a Hiptop or Sidekick is completely and definitely mobile.  It
may be always-on, but it's still mobile for the simple fact that such
users are not at their computers.

I would like to close with a few questions that may hopefully clear
something up.  In broad terms, how does Pidgin implement the Hiptop
status?  Doesn't it also use the same libpurple library that Adium
uses?  Is there something that Pidgin is doing that Adium is NOT
doing, but COULD be doing?  If so, please let me know and I'll get
back to the Adium developers and tell them.

Thanks!

--fwoomp