ssl.so is not loadable: undefined symbol: purple_plugin_register

Eric PTAK eric.ptak.fr at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 04:45:11 EST 2008

Hi everyone,

I'm currently working around libpurple integration in an OpenSER module.
OpenSER is an opensource SIP proxy, see openser.org .

Well, I've started by testing a simplified nullclient (with one hard coded
account) which works fine. I'm now trying to integrate it in an openser
subprocess but it crashes during purple_core_init process with a
segmentation violation signal dropped.

I'm not sure yet if is purple or ser to blame, but using debug output, i've
discovered some strange error from purple_plugin_probe() with ssl plugin,
lets take a look :

[output omitted]
> (10:04:20) plugins: probing /usr/local/lib/purple-2/ssl.so
> (10:04:20) plugins: /usr/local/lib/purple-2/ssl.so is not loadable:
> undefined symbol: purple_plugin_register
> Jan  9 10:04:20 [8707] INFO:core:handle_sigs: child process 8712 exited by
> a signal 11
> [output omitted]

The first two lines are purple debug, and the third is from openser. Process
with pid 8712 is the one running purple.

Thanks for help you should give me ;)

Eric.