pidgin.im

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Fri Jan 18 10:58:58 EST 2008

Luke Schierer spake unto us the following wisdom:
> When I noticed this on reaching a computer here at my office, the load
> average was up over 100, and trac.fcgi was using a steady 99% of the
> CPU.  Memory did not seem to be an issue, though munin tells me that the
> amount committed was growing again during that 3 hour block this morning
> while it could run.
>
> I halted both lighttpd and usher, and killed all mtn jobs to let the
> system recover.  Once the load was again below 10, which happened
> relatively rapidly once I was able to kill trac.fcgi and the mtn jobs, I
> restarted both usher and ligttpd.

I also stopped lighttpd at about 0930, because the load average was
well over 100.  I allowed things to settle for about a minute, and
didn't have to kill anything else -- the pending cron jobs (including
mtn updates) all finished rapidly once trac was down.  A restart
seemed to go OK.

> This is the second time since the 14th that the committed memory has
> spiked, something that used to happen regularly but other than one spike
> about a week ago, had not happened since this past summer.  Does anyone
> have any idea what has changed recently that might be leaking?

Was memory the problem, this time?  At 0930, it didn't *appear* to be,
but I can't swear ... it was really hard to find anything out, because
the shell was so sluggish.  I got impatient and killed lighttpd,
because trac was sitting on 100% CPU.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.