Fwd: Pidgin Password Patch

Luke Schierer lschiere at pidgin.im
Thu Jan 24 11:40:10 EST 2008

Some intro:

Shaun and I have exchanged a few emails here on a class project at his
university.  The students in a computer security class would like to
design a system to store passwords used in pidgin in a keychain.

In particular, they are looking at windows systems, but on my advise,
they are looking at the gnome keychain as well.  They plan to submit
their work as a patch or patches sometime this semester.  We have
already discussed the fact that an implementation of password storage
has to be able to handle the keyrings available on multiple platforms,
as well as the absence of any available keyring.

Some limitations naturally apply, if you share a .purple directory
between keyring and non-keyring systems, you might experience some
funkyness, and if you use different keyring systems with the
same .purple directory, you'll naturally have to store that password
once on each system, and will potentially have issues if you ever
change a password.  These are, I suspect, inevitable, but outside the
scope of this email.

I'm not sure how best to answer this question, so I'm passing it on
for further discussion.  My inclination is to think that this will be
handled much the same way ssl is by libpurple, and that the specifics
of windows or gnome keyrings will be in a plugin which interacts with
generic libpurple bindings.  Does this seem reasonable?

luke

Begin forwarded message: