readd options

Ankit Singla anksingla at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 09:49:13 EST 2008

Jacek Lukas Wotka wrote:
> hi stu,
> thanks for the response.
> first of all, i am sure you are able to see where a sentence starts.
> there's a full stop in front of it, or nothing in front of it.
> i thus regard it as redundant.
> however i don't think this should be the thing to discuss here.
>

> Stu Tomlinson wrote:
>

>> More seriously, removing preferences is a *good* thing for software
>> usability, and user-friendliness, quite contrary to what you are
>> claiming. Please see http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/DesignGuidelines -
>> in particular the section on "Simpler is Better" and the referenced
>> essay.
>>

>>> if you think that some of the option that were removed shouldn't be in
>>> the preferences window, then at least make it possible to change this
>>> manually in the config file.
>>>
>> Actually, hidden preferences are *worse* than extra, visible,
>> preferences.
>>

>>> especially i'm talking about:
>>> - dim idle buddies (i don't care who's idle, .. and i don't care how
>>> long he is, as an extra option)
>>>
>> If you don't care for this, why does it bother you? If there is a real
>> usability issue here I would love to hear it.
>>

>>> - an option to control the icons for the status (i don't care who's away
>>> or busy), example: "only two icons: online or offline" vs. "the full
>>> spectrum" (which is the default for now).
>>>
>> We already do have a restricted set of icons, we do not provide separate
>> distinct icons for every conceivable status where protocols provide more
>> than the subset we have determined require easy identification. Some
>> people actually have the opposite view to you. We have gone for a
>> compromise that we believe provides the best usability.
>>

> i quite harshly wrote "i don't care". by this i meant it is an
> information which i don't need or want to have in this place.
> some people like to have the list clean, and don't like to be distracted
> by several different colours in the list. i don't claim that to be the
> mainstream opinion, of course.
> at least dim idle buddies should be an option again. also the idle time
> doesn't need to be in the buddy list (it's in mouse-over anyway).
> simpler is better, i agree with this. but i think there was some kind of
> exaggeration in the past "remove as much as possible".
> in the first place the word simpler means "a simpler way or a less
> confusing way to do it" not "no way to do it".

Removing the idle time is most definitely possible (Buddies->Show->idle
time)

> as a side note:
> maybe a bit of the problem was the invention of all these different (i
> think some are redundant) availabilty modes by icq or whoever did this
> first, which are since unquestioned. in older versions all icons where
> more uniform (in colour).
>
> how about a "clean mode"/"minimalist" buddy list?
> - small icons
> - no buddy icons
> - only online/offline distinction

I'm not quite sure what the problem with having all the current
statuses. There really is more than just an online/offline distinction.
Since people often use away messages for status messages, it's been a
little bit fuzzy, but otherwise, away means AFK (don't expect a reply
but you can leave messages), available means I'm here and want to talk
to you, offline means I don't want to be contacted. You can also already
have small icons and no buddy icons by turning of buddy details (also in
the Buddies->Show submenu).