MSNp14 status?

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Thu Jan 31 11:32:06 EST 2008

Daniel Atallah spake unto us the following wisdom:
> On Jan 31, 2008 4:21 AM, Felipe Contreras <felipe.contreras at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Not synchronization, local buddy list.
> >
> > Whatever it is in ~/.purple/blist.xml, drop it for MSN. That solves
> > the synchronization issue :)
>
> This isn't a good option; we need to be able to support contactization,
> local aliases, buddy notes and stuff for MSN buddies.

This is true; however, other protocols handle this more gracefully
than MSN.  Basically, they keep that extra information in the local
buddy list, but in the event that the server no longer knows about a
buddy, that buddy is dropped from the local list.  In other words, the
server holds the canonical copy of the list.  For MSN (and I believe
MSN is the *only* protocol which still does this) we try to enforce
our version of the list on the server.  We used to do this for other
protocols, as well, but changed quite some time ago.  I don't know why
MSN has not, there may be a (good?) reason.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.