MSNp14 status?

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Thu Jan 31 23:25:27 EST 2008

Felipe Contreras spake unto us the following wisdom:
> 2008/2/1 Ethan Blanton <elb at pidgin.im>:
> > Sure; protocols which can store this on the server, do so.  OSCAR
> > does, I know, as does XMPP, I believe.  If MSN doesn't, and the server
> > supports that field, it should.
>
> Where to? server alias, or local alias?
>
> What about the nickname?

MSN is unique in the complete stupidity of the *client* storing a
*server alias* on the server, to my knowledge.  If, indeed, that is
standard practice and not just brokenness in our prpl.

If the server doesn't have a dedicated field for storing the alias
that a user wants to see for a buddy (regardless of that buddy's MSN
ID or "friendly name"), which we call the "local alias", then it has
to stay in the local blist.xml, I guess.  If it does, we should use
whatever field that is.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.