Monotone analysis

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Wed Jul 9 13:44:10 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 07:38 -0400, Luke Schierer wrote:
> Would you really consider working on pidgin to contribute that one
> patch if you had to download [an ISO's worth of data] just to get
> going with our DVCS?

BZR, from what I understand, can do CVS/SVN-style shallow checkouts.
They also point out a potential problem with git's shallow checkouts,
but I can't speak to that. [1]

With regard to git, the issues in [2] would concern me. Obviously,
that's a biased page, so I'd be interested to read something from the
git folks about that, but I haven't done any searching to find it yet.

I found [3] to be an interesting read (it was linked from [1]/[2]).
Also, it seems BZR has a feature that I wanted out of Monotone for some
time. [4]

Richard

P.S. I haven't actually used BZR yet, so I'm not really endorsing it
here. I'm primarily interested in it because of the Launchpad
integration. I'll probably try it out soon with some Debian/Ubuntu
packaging work I do.

[1] http://bazaar-vcs.org/BzrVsGit#head-4d303353f63ee01ea81b7756170c611a02c3ebf9

[2] http://bazaar-vcs.org/BzrVsGit#head-f8ca6b6d818291c78a38ee10bac6928cd0658042

[3] http://blogs.gnome.org/newren/2007/12/08/limbo-why-users-are-more-error-prone-with-git-than-other-vcses/