Monotone analysis

John Bailey rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org
Wed Jul 9 19:34:53 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 02:02:16AM +0300, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> 2008/7/9 John Bailey <rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org>:
> You can achieve with temporal/topic/local branches what you can
> achieve with microbranches, except that you have control over what's
> happening.

I can control what happens in a microbranch just as well as any git,
bzr, or hg user can with their branches.

> Git/bzr/hg provide better tools to manage the divergence: cheap branches.

And monotone branches aren't cheap?  Seriously, what are you smoking?

> Of course MTN isn't hard to use once you get used to it, CVS wasn't
> either, but once you get used to something superior, you can't go back
> to the madnes. Would you do serious development in CVS again? Even if
> a project you want to contribute to is using it and they see no reason
> to change?

Yes, I would.  CVS may suck, but it does what it does in a predictable
and well-known fashion.  I do, in fact, still use CVS on occasion.

> There's a reason why nobody is using mtn: it's not ok.

And again you spout an _opinion_ that you haven't supported with any
real, irrefutable evidence.  If you want to bitch about monotone, go
bitch to its developers.  I'm tired of seeing your complaints about our
decision on what tool to use.  If you can't handle that, tough.

John