Pidgin development

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Tue Jul 22 17:55:32 EDT 2008

2008/7/22 John Bailey <rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org>:
> Gerrie wrote:
>> Hi, i would just like to know/recommend, is it possible for u guys to
>> enable the Facebook chat in the new Pidgin? Would be quite nice, but its
>> just a recommendation! Thanx for the great free software u guys make,
>> its awesome!
>
> We are not interested in supporting Facebook Chat ourselves.  Facebook has
> promised to expose an XMPP interface into the Chat "network", which we are
> waiting for.  At that point, we will support Facebook just as we supported
> Google Talk immediately upon its release.  Given the promise to expose an XMPP
> interface, it's pretty much pointless to go through the effort of supporting the
> JSON and HTTP stuff we'd need to.

Speaking of which... are we ok with hackily adding "Facebook" or
"Facebook Chat" into the protocol drop down list, and having it
pre-populate the server field the same way we do for Google Talk?  I
know we'd all love users to know that they should choose XMPP to log
into Facebook, but in reality that's not going to happen.  By adding
it to the drop down and having it create an XMPP account we'll educate
some users and stave off a lot of support requests.

And if so, are we ok with these icons? (Hylke, it's really your call)
http://cubestuff.wordpress.com/2008/05/21/facebook-goes-tango/

-Mark