Automatically reconnect accounts signed on elsewhere

Will Thompson will at willthompson.co.uk
Tue Jun 10 11:58:00 EDT 2008

On 10/06/08 08:47, Mark Doliner wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 12:04:53 +0100, Will Thompson wrote
>> So, what would people say to the idea of adding a tickybox to Prefs →
>> Status/Idle to tell Pidgin to automatically reconnect accounts that were
>> disconnected because you signed on elsewhere when you return from idle?
>>
>> (Perhaps with some n-minute delay to make sure you really are back,
>> where n is half the time before you go idle or five minutes
>> whichever is the smaller or something?)
>
> I'm maybe 30% in favor of this and 70% against it.
>
> 1. I think it complicates the whole enable/disable thing just a little bit
> more, and it seems like it's already pretty difficult for people to figure out.

Agreed.  I can't think of a concise way to describe it that would fit in
the prefs window.  :-)

> 2. It adds another preference.  It's a neat feature... but the added pref
> would reduce the usability of the preference window.  I guess it's a good
> example of "feature creep."

Given a “no longer idle” signal (which I thought Pidgin already had but
apparently it doesn't) this could easily be a plugin.  But I can't help
thinking we have an unmanageable number of plugins already…

> 3. I can also imagine cases where the feature would get in the way... like if
> you signed on in a college computer lab then your roommate bumped into your
> desk in your dorm room and nudged your mouse and kicked you offline.

Agreed, although a timeout and a locked screen would mitigate this.

This was just an idea I thought I'd throw around; I've stuck a plugin
request ticket at <http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/6063> in case
someone's bored and wants to have a crack at it.

--
Will