Easy Accent support, ie, <CTRL-'>e for é

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Thu Jun 12 12:13:33 EDT 2008

Dossy Shiobara spake unto us the following wisdom:
> On 2008.06.11, Ethan Blanton <elb at pidgin.im> wrote:
> > I don't use Windows, but on X11, you can right-click in any input box
> > and select an "Input Method"; [...]
>
> Isn't that only true if you're using XIM and not GTK+ IM?

No.  In fact, XIM is one of the options in that list.  Perhaps you
should try it.  ;-)

Gtk+ has its own implementation of input methods, one of which is a
bridge to X11 XIM.  The popular complex input methods these days
mostly have native Gtk+ input modules, but some holdouts (e.g.,
kinput2) still require the old XIM bridge.  Note that Qt also has its
own specification for input methods, and a similar situation.
Unfortunately, XIM is plagued by a number of protocol issues, so we're
left with wheels being invented all over the place.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.