About ProgressReport and msn-pecan

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Fri Jun 13 11:52:08 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-06-13 at 02:41 +0300, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> Seriously, I'm going to use gio at some point, since that's what every
> sensible network code should be using. I will have to include the
> whole thing just to support these ancient systems.

Assuming there is merit to using gio and maintaining both new and old
code is extremely complex, I think that'd be a good reason for a
libpurple 3.0.0 with a higher glib requirement. If it's just a matter of
doing #ifdef ...new code... #else ...existing code... #endif then
there's no reason to increase the glib requirement, because the existing
code has already been written.

For what it's worth, I'm in favor of dropping support for older library
releases as soon as practicable (that being the point of contention,
though) because it would allow us to remove a bunch of compatibility
code. Less code for the same features is good for everyone. That said, I
think it's reasonable for distros to have 5 year support cycles and IM
clients do face a unique problem (as Sean noted), so we can't take this
too far.

> Personally I've found that msn-pecan is more stable in armel-linux
> than your msnp9, and in overall my users also find it more stable.
> While at the same time providing the features they need.

I'm sure this has come up before, but why not submit patches to fix the
libpurple implementation rather than fixing it out-of-tree? Your work
would reach a larger audience and it'd be easier for people to use it if
it were done as changes to libpurple.

Richard