About ProgressReport and msn-pecan

Tim Ringenbach tim.ringenbach at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 13:08:00 EDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 6:24 AM, Felipe Contreras
<felipe.contreras at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 1:58 AM, Tim Ringenbach
> <tim.ringenbach at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 8:18 PM, Felipe Contreras
>> <felipe.contreras at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> account.h:
>>> typedef struct PurpleAccount PurpleAccount;
>>>
>>> account_private.h:
>>> struct PurpleAccount
>>> {
>>>        char *username;
>>>        char *alias;
>>>        char *password;
>>>        char *user_info;
>>>        PurplePresence *presence;
>>> }
>>>
>>> That means that if you include account.h you can't do
>>> account->username, because "account" is an incomplete type, just like
>>> a void *. Note also that PurplePresence doesn't need to be defined in
>>> account.h, hence you remove a header dependency for all the files that
>>> include account.h, and you remove all the headers that presence.h
>>> include, and so on.
>>
>> Couldn't you do the same thing by just not including the extra files,
>> and adding struct _PurpleBlah; for each missing type, and changing the
>> prototypes to use the struct _PurpleBlah instead of PurpleBlah? (IIRC,
>> if you try to do the typedef more than once you get an error, which is
>> why I said use the struct version of the name)
>
> I don't understand what you are saying.

I'm saying you can avoid including the presence.h header in the
accounts.h header by just saying struct _PurplePresence;. And that
IIRC you can say struct _PurplePresence; more than once but if you try
to say typedef struct _PurplePresence PurplePresence; more than once
you get a compiler error.

>> What's the end goal here? Just to speed up compiling and make the
>> graph shorter, if technically misleading? (By misleading I mean the
>> account module really does use the presence module even though it
>> wouldn't show on the graph anymore because the header isn't including
>> it)
>
> No. The public and the private fields are two completely different things.

Ok, so are you talking about moving toward struct hiding, which is
ultimately an ABI breaking change, though as you said in a later email
it's not impossible to move toward it without breaking the ABI.

> You might find surprising that GHashNode is not available in
> any header file, ever. That's a clean modularization.

I actually don't find that surprising because I understand struct
hiding. I just wanted to know what your goals were. If your goal was
struct hiding then I wanted to make sure you knew the final cutover to
that had to wait until we could break the API.

However, you're still going to be including just as many files, are
you not? They'll be slightly shorter files (no structs in them). But
you'll still have the prototypes of all the public functions (which
they'll likely be a lot since we're doing struct hiding). And even
though you don't call those functions from another header file, that
header file still has to include the headers for all the types it
uses.

> Why burden the user, the compiler, and the documentation generation
> tools with things that should be transparent?
>
> What is _misleading_ is that you need to know all the internal details
> of Presence; you don't, you just need the public API. Actually, I just
> checked and Presence is properly hiding the internal details, but not
> Account, nor Proxy which is used by Account.

Point taken. But currently the struct definition is part of the public
api, and even if it ought not be, we can't simply remove it without
breaking the API compatibility promises we made. But I think that
point has probably been explained enough.

--Tim