pidgin: 69b22e32: The text iterators need to be properly o...

Sadrul Habib Chowdhury imadil at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 10:26:09 EDT 2008

* Daniel Atallah had this to say on [21 Jun 2008, 09:39:34 -0400]:
> 2008/6/21  <sadrul at pidgin.im>:
[snip]

> > The text iterators need to be properly ordered here. Taking the iterators
> > from the x/y coordinates doesn't ensure the correct order, especially when
> > RTL languages are involved. Thanks to thefox in #pidgin for reporting the
> > bug.

[snip]

> This fixes http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/6089 right?

I don't think it does. It looks like the crash in #6089 happens more
because the purple_debug_warning in gtkimhtml.c:5049 causes the text in
the debug window to change, thus invalidating the text-iterators iter and
next_iter, which causes the crash. I can reproduce this bug with 2.4.2,
but not with what we have in i.p.p now. There were some changes made in
that part of the code after the release. That may have fixed the bug,
but it's still possible that the crash will happen for some selected
text. I can't think of a good fix at the moment (apart from setting a
flag on the GtkIMHtml widget in the debug window, and check for that
flag in gtkimhtml.c before doing any purple_debug_ foo, but even I think
that's ugly!)

> -D

:-S