UPnP in libpurple

John Bailey rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org
Sun Jun 29 23:13:29 EDT 2008

Evan Schoenberg wrote:
>> Can we even use libnatpmp?  Its license requires attribution for all
>> redistributions and modifications.
>
> Where do you see that?

The license text I pasted came directly from natpmp.c in the libnatpmp source
tarball.

> MiniUPnP is distributed with a 3-clause BSD license.

It seemed to me from the thread's progression that miniupnp was not the code we
intended to use; this is why I was talking specifically about libnatpmp.

> libnatpmp, distributed at the same site by the same author, does not
> include a LICENSE file.  I have emailed the author to inquire as to the
> intended licensing and seek clarification.  I'll let the list know the
> results.

Sean replied to me off-list (I suspect he merely missed "reply all"--gmail
*really* needs a reply-to-list button) and pointed out that the license is the
standard ISC license, which according to the FSF is definitely GPL-compatible.
I did not recognize the license text; this is why I questioned it.  Since it's a
known compatible license, I have no issues with it now.

John