DATADIR vs. gtkrc's pixmap_path

Will Thompson will at willthompson.co.uk
Sat Mar 1 08:14:28 EST 2008

G'day,

  Whenever we load an icon, we build a path relative to DATADIR, and
  load that.  On Win32, DATADIR expands to a function; on *nix, it's a
  constant.  Thomas "reiffert" Reifferscheid mentioned that this is a
  problem for building an OS X application bundle of Pidgin, because you
  can't know in advance where DATADIR should be.  It also means that
  people can't use the pixmap_path gtkrc setting to make Pidgin use
  different icon at runtime.

  After some discussion, we figured out that Pidgin should probably be
  using gtk_rc_find_pixmap_in_path () to build the paths to icons,
  rather than doing so directly.  We can add DATADIR to the GtkSettings
  at 'application' priority, so that nothing changes out of the box; but
  people could then set pixmap_path in their own gtkrc to use different
  icons (and in Thomas' case, use it to tell Pidgin where it happens to
  be running today).

  Is there some reason that we don't already do this?

pixmap_path:
    <http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/unstable/gtk-Resource-Files.html#id3092016>
find_pixmap_in_path():
    <http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/unstable/gtk-Resource-Files.html#gtk-rc-find-pixmap-in-path>

Thanks,
--
Will
Mal:    Well, they tell ya, never hit a man with a closed fist, but it is