PHPurple 0.1.0 pre-alpha is released

Greg Hudson ghudson at MIT.EDU
Mon Mar 3 12:32:48 EST 2008

On Sun, 2008-03-02 at 13:02 -0800, Sean Egan wrote:
> Since Pidgin is GPL, you can't distribute phpurple under a BSD-style
> license. You're pretty much limited to distributing it under the GPL.

There are an awful lot of people in the open source community operating
under the theory that the BSD license (sans advertising clause) is
"compatible" with the GPL.  The idea is that all of the restrictions of
the BSD license are also restrictions of the GPL, so you can distribute
BSD-licensed code under the terms of the GPL, so it's okay to combine
code under the two licenses.  To the best of my knowledge, this theory
has been blessed by the FSF.

Do you disagree with the FSF on this point, or am I mistaken about
something in the above paragraph?

(That said, distributing libpurple PHP bindings under a BSD license
wouldn't be functionally much different than distributing them under the
GPL.  Any work using the bindings would also be using libpurple and
would thus be bound by the terms of the GPL.)