PHPurple 0.1.0 pre-alpha is released

Evan Schoenberg evands at pidgin.im
Mon Mar 3 19:23:01 EST 2008

Anatoliy,

Perhaps you could lend some clarity to this thread by explaining
exactly what you are hoping to do with PHPurple that you feel can not
be done within the terms of the GPL.

Some examples things you can do, as I understand the GPL:
1. You can give it away.
2. You can sell it (but it must retain the GPL license - the recipient
could resell it after you sold it to her)
3. You can sell support for it.
4. You can sell your services to implement it for a customer.
5. You can use it on a server without any requirements of source code
distribution (which I personally think sucks, but that's how the GPL
is).

Some examples of things you can not do:
1. Relicense libpurple to be anything other than the GPL.
2. Distribute (for free or for compensation) some 'compiled' version
(does that even exist for PHP?) without offering to deliver the source
code and following through on that offer.

-Evan