pidgin: 3161d3b0: Now that Adium has cyrus-sasl enabled, I...

Stu Tomlinson stu at nosnilmot.com
Wed Mar 19 20:35:18 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-19 at 20:25 -0400, evands at pidgin.im wrote:
> Revision: 3161d3b09a1cb0dfe2a905306fbe19a6e76f5531
> Ancestor: c8a7475750a83a32c26d2f40066500a948844beb
> Author: evands at pidgin.im
> Date: 2008-03-20T00:20:27
> Branch: im.pidgin.pidgin
>
> Modified files:
>         libpurple/protocols/jabber/auth.c
>         libpurple/protocols/jabber/libxmpp.c
>
> ChangeLog:
>
> Now that Adium has cyrus-sasl enabled, I'm having a lot of users
> report problems connecting to servers which ultimately turn out to be
> that the server supports GSSAPI in addition to other mechanisms and
> the user isn't configured serverside or clientside to authenticate
> properly.  Generally speaking, a user/password combination is the
> expectation for most people for connecting.

Except where GSSAPI is configured for a reason, and I don't see why it
would be available otherwise.

> > This adds an account preference, off by default, which enables
> GSSAPI authentication.  If there's a huge outcry against displaying
> this preference in Pidgin and Finch, I'd appreciate leaving it in as a
> 'hidden' preference (changed to TRUE by default) which UIs can use; I
> plan to expose it within Adium.

Please consider this my huge outcry!

I spent quite some time getting Pidgin/libpurple with GSSAPI
authentication and SSO working "plug and play" in an Active Directory
environment. I don't want this preference hidden or otherwise.

If the clientside is not configured at all for GSSAPI auth, it should be
falling back to other alternative authentication methods - if this is
not happening, that is what needs fixing. If a client is incorrectly
configured for GSSAPI authentication, adding a preference in all apps is
not the right solution.

I hate workarounds for misconfigured clients or servers. If Cyrus SASL
is causing so many problems for your Adium users, maybe you should just
turn it off and let things be?

Regards,

Stu.