Summer of Code

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Tue Mar 25 14:27:59 EDT 2008

John Bailey spake unto us the following wisdom:
> Mark Doliner wrote:
> > On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 00:43:01 -0400, John Bailey wrote
> >> I'm certainly not intending to suggest we completely ignore .NET
> >> simply because of these issues, but MFC does gain us the advantage
> >> of working on Windows NT 4.0, Windows 98, and Windows ME
> >
> > I don't think we should worry very much about supporting operating
> > systems that have been obsolete for over 6 years, and not supported by
> > Microsoft for 2 years.
>
> By that same token, GTK+ 2.0.x was last released on 2002-11-20 and has
> gone unsupported by its developers for quite some time.  GTK+ 2.2.x
> was last released on 2003-09-04 and GTK+ 2.4.x was last released on
> 2004-10-12.  Both of these have also been unsupported by the
> developers for quite some time.  All of these GTK+ releases are
> obsolete, yet we still support them, when supporting them gains us
> little except more of a mess of preprocessor directives in our code to
> disable or work around things that don't work with these older GTK+
> versions.

There is a very important difference here -- we are talking about
*new* code, written for a *new* client, not old code for a client
which has existed since before Gtk2 was ever released, in some form or
another.

If someone desires to write a native UI for Windows Vista and future
releases only, that's fine with me, and I support the idea.  Anything
that removes a single Windows user from our backs seems like a net
win.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.