problem with pidgin

Jeff Sadowski jeff.sadowski at gmail.com
Tue May 6 18:51:51 EDT 2008

On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 2:29 PM, Ka-Hing Cheung <khc at hxbc.us> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-05-06 at 14:16 -0600, Jeff Sadowski wrote:
>  > How will I know what I missed reading when I get back?
>
>  As Mark have said, prompting the user is simply easier to implement.
>  Even if we implement restore in the future prompting first is still good
>  to have.
>
>  Also, it'd be nice if you quote properly and reply-all.

I'm guessing by quoting proper you mean always have the text below
what I'm replying to? Sorry I'll try and follow this. As for
reply-all, with this list, by default, in gmail, when hitting the
reply button it defaults to just the last user. It is very irritating.
I do not have the same issue with other lists and this has been
discussed before. I try hard to remeber for this list to right click
and select reply all; sometimes I forget. Sorry.

The problem I see is that fixing it the way you guys have suggested
would make it worse for me than doing nothing at all. I currently have
logging turned on so that when I reopen my friends messages I see them
all.  And I remember what last I read. So I'm not too worried about
missing them. The only reason you should have to close pidgin in my
view is if you are in a hurry or shutting down thus extra steps in
closing I think would be irritating and would be ignored by the os
shutting down anyways. Isn't the point of an IM to be able to be
reached? So it should almost always be on. I think if I look at the
code I can make it do what I want with only a slight modification. I
just need to get the source code and add a procedure to look at tabs
and windows open and save that info in a file while shutting down the
app. Better yet would be to have a directory in the config directory
with files representing the windows that where open on exit. When a
tab or window opens it writes a file there with positions on screen
and when the tab or window is closed remove the file from the
directory. I don't know for sure but I think I could implement
something like this without too much work.