XMPP Ping timeout and Google Talk

Evan Schoenberg evan.s at dreskin.net
Wed May 14 06:51:24 EDT 2008

I've received multiple reports of and seen at least once myself
instances in which talk.google.com simply doesn't reply to <iq
type='get' id='purpled097aa0c'><ping xmlns='urn:xmpp:ping'/></iq>.
Typically, it does reply, but with a service-unavailable error...
which probably means we should stop sending pings but does at least
serve as a notification the connection is still alive.  When it's in a
mood not to respond, though, libpurple disconnects every 2 minutes
with a ping timeout even though the connection is clearly live as
evidenced by other traffic.

  http://trac.adiumx.com/ticket/9569#comment:18 is a recent ticket in
Adium trac submitted on the issue.  I couldn't find a Pidgin trac
ticket on it.

Could we modify the ping timeout to reset whenever any traffic is
received, not just the response to our ping?

-Evan