Pidgin needs a manual

Moritz 'Morty' Strübe morty at gmx.net
Wed May 14 19:36:00 EDT 2008

Hi Ananda,

I think that's a good idea. Though I think there should be some thought
in how much effort to put into it, and in which form the data should be
managed.

Management:
In my experience often someone put a lot of work into a manual and then
it isn't maintained any more.
Possible solution: Maybe it's possible to put everything in a wiki and
create an online help _and_ a manual from this data.

Effort:
I think up-to-dateness of typical actions/problems (Create an account /
add buddy, etc) should have an higher priority then completeness. Most
of the actions (writing a message) are so simple that they don't really
need documentation. Others are so geeky, that most "normal" users won't
ever need them (and the geeks understand them without doc). Basically I
want to say: Quality over Quantity. And to put some thought in what is
worth to be put into the documentation, and what should rather not be
added because the time can be spent better.

Besides that: I'm willing to give feedback on documentation (read and
comment it), but I'm afraid, I won't be able to put "real" work into
this project.

Cheers
Morty (who should be in bed, and therefore hopes his thoughts are not
too confused)