Automatic Bonjour Account

Stephen Eilert spedrosa at gmail.com
Fri May 16 20:16:57 EDT 2008

Richard Laager wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-05-09 at 14:37 -0500, Richard Laager wrote:
>
>> One of the things I discussed last year with some people at Ubuntu Live
>> is the idea of automatically adding a Bonjour account.
>>

> I talked to one of these people. He suggested using the buddy list
> minidialogs (or whatever we call them): "Would you like to automatically
> discover other users on the network?" If you choose Yes, you get a
> Bonjour account added If you choose No, you don't ever see it again.

Yes! That sounds very nice.

Bonjour is simple and nice enough that the complexities can be hidden
from the users. It is not like most other protocols, where you need to
have an account in whatever service you want to use, your buddies should
already be registered into it, and so on.

In that sense, Bonjour is not even an "account" per se, unlike other
protocols. So it could even be a preference checkbox such as:
"automatically discover users in the local network" - or something to
that effect.

Stephen