master password gsoc project

William Ehlhardt williamehlhardt at gmail.com
Tue May 20 16:48:43 EDT 2008

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 4:14 PM, Richard Laager <rlaager at wiktel.com> wrote:
> That does encryption within Pidgin (well, probably libpurple). The SoC
> project is to use an existing password safe, like the GNOME Keyring or
> KDE Wallet. This will be much more user friendly. For many users, it
> will Just Work.

It seems to me that a built-in-to-Pidgin master password encryption
mechanism would be useful. It can certainly be overridden if an
external password safe is present, and would also be useful on
platforms where there is no such safe (Does Windows have a password
safe that you can integrate with?). If the cited patch provides a
libpurple-specific keystore already, most of the difficult work here
has already been done.

-William