Voice and Video GSoC Project

Maiku cmaiku at gmail.com
Thu May 29 01:23:46 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 12:13 AM, Mark Doliner <mark at kingant.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 26 May 2008 22:24:06 -0500, Maiku wrote
>> Today I managed to track down the source of some of the crash bugs
>> and fixed them. They were due to not having certain
>> GStreamer/Farsight plugins.
>>
>> For testers to note: in order to participate in a media session it's
>> required to have:
>>  * gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad (not sure which version, but it needs to
>> include the gstrtpbin plugin)
>>  * gstreamer0.10-plugins-farsight >= 0.12.6
>> in addition to the extra compiling requirements of:
>>  * farsight2-0.10 == 0.02 (aka libgstfarsight0.10-dev)
>>  * gstreamer-plugins-base-0.10 (aka gstreamer0.10-plugins-base-dev)
>>
>> Also, note that until Farsight 2's ICE transmitter (libnice) is
>> completed, NAT traversal won't work very well. So, if you're behind a
>> firewall, you will probably only be able to start sessions within
>> your local network.
>
> It might be good to have this list documented on the wiki somewhere, if it
> isn't already.  Also, I wonder if it's possible to detect which plugins are
> required but aren't installed and show the user an error stating which
> packages they need to install to get things working.
>
> -Mark

With the changes I've made it will say in the debug log which plugin
it failed on, but it probably wouldn't be too hard to map those to
packages or perhaps display a link to one of the wiki pages with
further information and instructions.

Also, I've been copying important parts of this thread, such as the
requirements, to my project page, which can be found here:
http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/GSoC2008/VoiceAndVideo