Pidgin Manual proposal - need some feedback

Ananda Samaddar ananda.samaddar at gmx.co.uk
Sat May 31 10:03:40 EDT 2008

I forgot to CC this to the mailing list.....

Dennis 'EvilDennisR' Ristuccia wrote:
 > I have some experience doing manuals, I'd like to help you work on this
 > project.

Good to hear.

 > I have no objections to using lyx, nor do I have any opinion about it;
 > I've never used it. You said it can be exported to HTML and PDF, and has
 > OO.o support, so that sounds good enough for me.
 >
 > I think a better question to ask would be, does anyone have any
 > information as to why we /shouldn't/ use lyx?

I've no idea about OO.o support.  I know LyX docs can exported to LaTeX,
html and PDF.  Of course there'll also be converters for LaTeX and html
to various other formats like rtf (ugh).  The worst case scenario will
involve removing and recreating the mark up manually if we need to
switch to using a different application or format..  Plus LyX has good
support for non-latin scripts (Cyrillic, Chinese, Arabic etc) which will
help potential translators.

 > These all sound about right.. I'm sure many of the other developers
 > around could help produce a list of 'annoyances' that users tend to
 > complain/get confused about. We can cover those in addition.
 >

 > No. No windows.. *shudder* I say take screenshots under X with the
 > default gtk theme, and window-decorations removed.

Ok, but I hate doing screenshots myself.  I hope someone else doesn't
mind doing them.  Writing pages and pages of text is not a problem.

The main issue I'm thinking of now is revision control and hosting.  I'm
sure LyX has built in support for various revision control systems, but
I'll have to look into it.  As for hosting, would it be possible to get
this hosted on the main Pidgin web site?

regards,

Ananda Samaddar