Authenticating to Yahoo on PowerQUICC II

Nicholas Guarracino nicholas.guarracino.ipc at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 16:58:26 EST 2008

2008/10/31 Ethan Blanton <elb at pidgin.im>:
> Nicholas Guarracino spake unto us the following wisdom:
>> I'm trying to port libpurple to an embedded device running a
>> PowerQUICC II processor. I've gotten everything built and running, but
>> I am unable to log in to Yahoo. It tells me I have used the wrong
>> password. I'm guessing the issue is in yahoo_process_auth_new(), but
>> that function is a little crazy so I haven't dived in too far yet. Is
>> it possibly an endian issue or something similar since the pq2 is big
>> endian? I am able to connect to AIM and other services, just not
>> Yahoo.
>
> It is possible that it is a data type problem, yes, but Pidgin auth
> works correctly on both big-endian and little-endian systems under at
> least some circumstances.  (For example, it works on PowerPC Macs and
> on SPARC stations.)

I finally had some time to dig into this, and it was not an endian
issue at all. The real problem is that the device I'm targeting did
not have the necessary locale files installed, so
g_convert_with_fallback() was failing, which screwed up
yahoo_process_auth_new(). I installed the locale files and all is
well.

--Nick