Facebook in Pidgin

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Fri Nov 21 04:39:51 EST 2008

On 2008-11-21, 04:42 GMT, Casey Ho wrote:
> How about this:  Keep Facebook in plugin land as it is now, but
> make a move to support it publicly on the front page and other
> locations.  Label it experimental, give Mark or somebody else
> from Pidgin commit access, clear out the bug list, and cut down
> the number of features to keep it simple.

Hi, if I may chime in,

I totally agree with the above. I am a maintainer (now just
co-maintainer) of purple-facebookchat package in Fedora (Linux
distro) and my experience with the plugin strongly suggests that
keeping it out of the main tree but officially supported is the
best decision. The same applies IMHO to purple-microblog plugin,
BTW.

Both of these plugins may get eventually useless. I believe that
Facebook will eventually make XMPP gateway -- of course, the big
question is when. I believe also, that either twitter will reopen
its XMPP support, or that openmicroblogging servers, namely
laconi.ca, will be able to communicate with twitter. That means
IMHO that neither of these should be set in the stone of being in
the main tree.

Other reason is that both of them are highly crashy. Whereas,
pidgin itself seems to be pretty stable these days, I get at
least one crash a day from either of these. I don't mean anything
bad against the developers of these plugins -- obviously, these
are young programs in quite rapid state of development, and their
reaction of the crash reports was usually pretty good, but they
are IMHO in totally different class than the rest of the
piding/purple and they still require releases like every week or
so. And of course, facebookchat being a webscrapping technology,
may require updates often anyway (although Facebook seems to be
pretty good with not breaking the API that much).

Best,

Matěj