pidgin 2.5.2 bz2 corrupt?

Gary Kramlich grim at reaperworld.com
Tue Oct 28 09:55:05 EDT 2008

Mark Doliner wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 4:52 PM, David Melik <dchmelik at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Peace be with you, Mark,
>>
>>   I have used gaim (now pidgin) for years, and I downloaded 2.5.2's source
>> twice, but both times it was called a non-bz2 file by tar:

<snip>
>> --David Melik
>>
>> http://www.nwinfo.net/~darwin/
>>

> What's the full URL you tried to download?  What is the size of the
> file?  What does "file pidgin-2.5.2.tar.bz2" tell you?  In the future
> please email concerns like this to devel at pidgin.im or file a ticket in
> our bug tracker.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

Also, what have you downloaded it with?  I know firefox has caused
problems when downloading a .gz file.

If you're interested, basically, firefox tells the server to compress
it, the server does, firefox looks at the mime type of the file and then
doesn't decompress the gzip'd data that the server created.

Anyways, verify that it's a bzip2 file and not gzip with the file
command.  If that's still wrong, try grabbing it with something like
wget or curl.

--
Gary Kramlich