Per-protocol account settings names

Sergey Rudchenko sergey.rudchenko at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 04:55:31 EDT 2008

Dear Pidgin developers,

Thank you all for your great efforts in making such a great software as
Pidgin.

Recently I had some negative experience with promoting Pidgin to a
computer newbie (my father). After a while he notified me that pidgin
doesn't work and even doesn't ask his ICQ UIN. After a several questions
I have figured out what this means and Pidgin started to work for him
perfectly.

The problem was very easy: he was confused by the "Screen name:" field
in the "Add Account" dialog. Even worse in the russian translation (me &
my father are Russians) this field looks like "User name"(in Russian
though). So he just has typed his first and last name to this field
without any hesitation.

I'm sure there're another users who was trapped with this issue. I
propose you the next enhancement: every libpurple plugin should provide
info about his settings, so "Add Account" dialog could adjust text
labels when user choose some protocol.

Further enhancement can include field value validation on the plugin
side. In this way it will be impossible to type a real name to the UIN
field.

I'm experienced developer and could help you to implement this with
pleasure.

What do you think?

--
Best regards,