Per-protocol account settings names

Will Thompson will at willthompson.co.uk
Wed Sep 3 07:18:34 EDT 2008

On 03/09/08 03:58, Sadrul Habib Chowdhury wrote:
> * Sergey Rudchenko had this to say on [02 Sep 2008, 08:52:43 +0300]:
>> I also propose to implement
>> validate_login function in the PurplePluginInfo to prevent user from
>> enetering an incorrect text to the editbox.
>>

> That sounds like a good idea to me. I think a number of protocols (e.g.
> OSCAR, XMPP, IRC, Yahoo! etc.) can use some sort of screenname
> validation.

It'd be super awesome to have validation for all account preferences, not just
the username; for instance, validating that 'server'-like options don't contain
spaces, etc.

Perhaps prpl_info could contain a hash table mapping pref name to a function to
validate it?  And then libpurple could have a bunch of standard validation
functions, such as purple_some_namespace_is_valid_encoding () to check that the
user hasn't entered "morse" as their preferred character encoding.

--
Will