libpurple: personal message != status message

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Wed Sep 10 15:31:32 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-09-10 at 14:39 +0300, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 1:48 PM, Will Thompson <will at willthompson.co.uk> wrote:
> > I feel like this problem would go away if the status selector did not
> > erase the message text when you switch from Available to Away.  At one
> > point, that was the behaviour, but it was changed for reasons I don't
> > recall.
>
> That would help, yeah.

So I actually went ahead and looked into this. As it turns out, it's a
one-line change. It turned into a 9 line change, though, because I added
a preference. Both use cases make sense and people are divided, so a
pref is appropriate here.

The commit is: fedd8495d3e49df957ae842bc5fa289452d048f8

This should address the needs of the users who like to use
Twitter/Facebook/"MSN personal message"-style messages, because that
field will become independent of status in the Pidgin UI. If other UIs
want to do something similar, they sure can.

If we need this preference to additionally make the UI change suggested
in the screenshot Mark posted, patches are welcome.

Richard