Status Messages Vs Personal Messages

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Thu Sep 11 18:18:10 EDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-11 at 14:39 -0700, Mark Doliner wrote:
> And no, you don't need to
> click the status control to change, you just need to click in the text
> box then start typing.

Felipe considers it non-intuitive to have to click a status in the
status selector to get the message text box to appear when you have no
status set currently. This is a trade-off of hiding the status box for
people that don't use it regularly.

I don't think we need to change this because I believe most people
(especially if the status box will be keeping the status, as it now
does) will either always have a message or never have a message. The
next most common use case will be messages attached to particular saved
statuses. I highly doubt there are enough users who frequently go from
*having no message* to *typing a message* to outweigh the users who
never use a message.

Richard