group contacts based on email/JID/Passport

(=?utf-8?q?=60=60-=5F-=C2=B4=C2=B4?=) -- Fernando Pidgin at bugabundo.net
Fri Sep 12 09:25:46 EDT 2008

From http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/7056

On the second paragraph of http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/Using%20Pidgin#CanIgroupbuddiesbytheirownerlikeTrilliansorMirandasMetacontacts it states that
> If you use the Alias function, by either highlighting a buddy and pressing
> F2 or right-clicking and selecting "Alias...," when two or more buddies in
> the same group are aliased to the same name, Pidgin will prompt you to
> automatically merge them together into one contact.

It would be great if Pidgin could (optionally automatically) group contacts into a single contact base on their email address/JID/Passport when you have the same over different accounts. I use 3 XMPP account and MSN (plus several others, not relevant here) and I have many contacts that have the same email. When I add new contacts to all 4 accounts I have to MANUALLY group them, when this can easily be done by the Alias code - but the Alias function only works for already existing contacts and requires manual intervention too.

Can some dev accept this ticket and work something out? Thanks in advance

--
BUGabundo :o)
(``-_-´´)