oscar: status message, status note, away message, available message

"Philipp Führer - netzbeben.de" pf at netzbeben.de
Tue Sep 23 12:28:26 EDT 2008

hi everyone,

i'm currently working on fixing the ticket #703. can you tell me what a
status note in oscar is (not status message)? the function to request a
status note doesn't work anymore (icq will return a "invalid search"
packet) and away messages would work without it, so i'm wondering for
what it's needed.

it also would be nice to know what you understand when you say "status
message"? is it the status message created by pidgin e.g. of the status
(away) and an away message which is displayed in the buddy list? or does
it also have a meaning in the oscar protocol beside away and available
messages? funny thing in icq6 is, that it actually doesn't seem to use
away messages (family: location (0x0002), subtype: userinfo (0x0006) tlv
0x0004) but available messages (family: location (0x0002), subtype:
userinfo (0x0006) tlv 0x001d), which are not yet displayed in the buddy
list of pidgin.

is my understanding of the different messages correct? and what is a
status note?
thanks for any advice.

cheers,
phil