Proposal to change chat window layout

Alex Willmer alex at moreati.org.uk
Tue Sep 23 14:17:11 EDT 2008

In a multiple user chat session, the chat window is laid out:
-------------------
|[ ]#channel      |
|[ ]Topic         |
-------------------
|Chat history|User|
|...         |list|
-------------------
|Typing area   [ ]|
|              [ ]|
-------------------

I'd like to swap the chat history and user list, so the chat history is
on the right. I reason that:

     1. I scroll the chat history more often than I do the user list.
     2. I place the chat window on the right edge my screen.
     3. By Fitts' law, a control is easier to hit at the screen edge.

Currently, the HPane splitter prevents the chat history scroll bar
reaching the window's edge. I would appreciate your thoughts, either
way, before I work on fully implementing this.

Realising the benefit would depend on applying the patch for my
enhancement ticket #6987.
http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/6987

Sincerely, Alex Willmer